November 21–23, 2019
The Gender Studies Centre at the Faculty of Communication of Vilnius University is organizing an international conference to commemorate the 100 years anniversary of women’s right to vote in Lithuania and many other countries. We seek to bring together scientists, researchers and activists of all genders who work in various branches of gender studies in educational, scientific, policy making and many other institutions to proclaim and publicly reflect centenary achievements and challenges in women’s, men’s and others’ lives and gender studies in general from theoretical, empirical and practical perspectives on national, regional, European and even global levels.
Gender studies have already entrenched as an immense research field encompassing women and feminism, men and masculinity as well as queer studies, studies on gender equality, equal rights and social movements, placement of gender in intersectional and diverse contexts, etc. Covering all – micro, meso, macro – levels of analysis, gender studies provide new knowledge and serve as a powerful engine for social, political, and economic improvements. However, institutionalization of gender studies and achievements in the field significantly vary by country. Therefore, the conference is aimed at:
- Sharing the most up-to-date results in the field of gender studies and research as well as discussing ideas, challenges and potential resolutions in the field;
- Strengthening cooperation between gender researchers, activists and other interested parties on the institutional and international levels;
- Encouraging public discussions on current gender-related topics and striving to initiate resolution of the most significant (e.g., gender-based violence, discrimination, etc.) problems.
The conference will cover a number of gender-related fields, including but not limited to:
- feminist studies, feminist methodologies and epistemologies;
- studies of men and masculinity;
- queer and LGBT+ studies;
- gender and sexuality;
- educational methodologies and geographical specifics of gender studies;
- gender equality, social movements and women’s, men’s, and LGBT+ rights;
- women’s history, gender in sociohistorical contexts;
- gender in social institutions: education, family, sciences, law, economics, medicine, media, arts etc.;
- gender at work;
- gender and literature studies;
- sociolinguistic studies of gender;
- gender and communication;
- gender and legislation, gender-based violence;
- the interplay of gender and other social categories: gender and race, disability, age, education etc.;
- gender and macro-level social processes: democracy, ecology, migration, etc.;
- gender and law;
- gender and health.
Presentations on other relevant issues surrounding gender topics are more than welcome.
The participants will have an opportunity to submit their articles for the following conference journals:
- Qualitative Research in Organizations and Management. An International Journal (ISSN: 1746-5648),
- Information Sciences (ISSN 1392-0561. eISSN 1392-1487),
- Public Policy and Administration (ISSN: 1648-2603, eISSN: 2029-2872).
For more details see Publication of conference papers.
Conference languages: English and Lithuanian.
- April 25, 2019: Abstract submission
- May 2, 2019: Notification of accepted abstracts and invitations to take part in the conference are sent
- June 2, 2019: Registration to the conference
- September 11, 2019: Conference preliminary programme will be announced
- October 10, 2019: Final programme will be announced
All inquiries can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org